Thursday 7 February 2013

Thrifty Thursday - Freebmd.org

One of the benefits of being a member of the Guild of One Name Studies is the chance to participate in the Marriage Challenges.

This is when another member volunteers to look up marriages in parish registers for a particular registration district. This is usually in the UK but I have seen some international ones.

Every month I take a look at the list of upcoming challenges to see if there is a registration district where I may have some TILLIN/TILLING/TILLEN mariages. (I have registered TILLING and TILLEN as variants of my name with the Guild.

This week I found out that the one of the new challenges is in a registration district of Mitford so I headed off to my favourite free genealogy resource.

My Thrifty Thursday tip is to use the website FreeBMD.

This website has transcriptions of the Birth, Marriages and Deaths Indices for England and Wales. It was the first website I found when I started looking at my family history and it is an absolutely brilliant free resource. It is all transcribed by volunteers and after having a go at transcribing a few years ago I really appreciate the effort and work that has gone into it.

It's also worth pointing out that the same information is available on Ancestry.co.uk but I'm not sure if you have to have a subscription or not to see it.

Unfortunately, when I searched Mitford Registration District for TILLIN/TILLING/TILLEN marriages nothing came up so I won't be sending any entries for this challenge. Maybe next time...
 

1 comment: